Welcome to Guidance at Leadership
Our guidance team is dedicated to supporting the academic, social and emotional needs of our students. The Guidance Department provides multiple services for our students including programming classes, and college placement. We currently have a dedicated College Advisor who was instrumental in helping this year's graduates with admissions to colleges -including the New School, Syracuse University and SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry. We also partner with the schools of Social Work at Hunter College and New York University. Student interns from these colleges work with our social worker to help support our students' non-academic needs.
Please feel free to reach out to our guidance staff if you have any questions.
Common App Essay Prompts
1. Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
2. The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
3. Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
4. Describe a problem you've solved or a problem you'd like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma - anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
5. Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
6. Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more? [New]
7. Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you've already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design. [New]
College Board- www.sat.collegeboard.org/practice
Princeton Review Free Online Practice Test- http://www.princetonreview.com/ChooseProducts.aspx?&zipcode=10032&testtype=TAA&producttype=FRE&productdetail=OnlinePracticeTest
ACT Study Guide- http://www.studyguidezone.com/acttest.htm